IELTS Academic Writing Task 1
The graph below shows the percentage of adults according to age and gender who do not do any physical activity in Australia.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant.
Things you should know about Academic Writing Task 1:
- You are asked to describe information presented in graph/ table/ chart/ diagram.
- You have 20 minutes to finish the task and you have to write at least 150 words.
- If you are asked to use the information presented in the graph you must be careful not to copy it.
In Academic Writing task 1, candidates are assessed on their ability to:
- Organise, present and possibly compare data.
- Describe the stages of a process or procedure.
- Describe an object or event or sequence of events.
- Explain how something works.
Model Answer :
The given column graph compares the percentage of men and women of seven different age groups who lead a sedentary life in Australia. It can be clearly seen that except for the 45 to 64-year-olds, all other age groups have more females than males who do not do much physical activity.
The 15-24 year age group is the most active with only about 14 and 17 % men and women respectively who don’t do much physical activity. The 25-34 age group has a little more percentage of people following a leisurely way of life. As age advances the percentage of easy-going men and women also is seen to be on the rise, with the exception of the 65-74 age group. Surprisingly, in this age group, the number of males and females doing no physical activity is lesser than that of the 55-64 age group. However, the 75+ age group has the maximum number of both genders doing no physical work.
Overall, it is clear that as age goes up more and more, people start leading physically inactive lives except for the 65-74-year-olds, and in most age groups, more females than males lead sedentary lives.
More Bar Graph:
- The graphs below show four categories of citrus fruits and the top three countries to which these were exported (in thousand tonnes) in 2012.
- The graphs below show the average retirement age for men and women in 2004 and 2008 in six different countries.
- The graph below shows the percentage of dependents in 2000 and the predicted figures in 2050 in five countries, and also gives the world average.
- The chart shows the information relating to people within 15-minute drive service in a particular region in UK. It also compares the people living in urban areas and people living in rural areas.
- The chart below shows information about the favourite subjects of 60 students from two schools, school A and school B.