It is essential to know “how words are counted in IELTS ?”. By looking in this page, you will get an idea that “how words are counted in IELTS ?”: Because In IELTS Reading, Listening and Writing word count Play vital role if you made an error then you will lose your mark and this will affect your band score.
How words are counted in Ielts ?
- Number,date and time are counted as words in IELTS. For instance 50,000 = one word/35 = one word / 11:00a.m. = one word / 12.2.2020 = one word and it same goes for listening, reading also.
- If you write the date like 12th July, then it is counted as two words because 12th is counted as number and July is counted as a word. One word and a number equal to two words.
- 55% in this example number with symbol is counted as one word because the symbol is not counted; however, if you write 40 percent, it counted as two words.
- All articles and prepositions are counted as a word such as ‘in’,’ a’, the’ and so on; thus, ‘an idea’ considered as two words.
- Spelling with hyphenated such as long-term, up-to-date, ice-cream are counted as one word.
- The compound noun which is written as one word, for example, football, blackboard, haircut counted as one word.
- The compound noun, which is written as separate, are counted as two words. For instance full moon, university campus
- Contractions are counted as: he’s = one word; however, he is = two words.
- If anything is written in brackets such as ‘red(50%)’ counted as two words because bracket counted as a word.