IELTS Academic Writing Task 1
The graph below shows the result of a survey of young people in four European countries on the most effective solution of global warming.
Summarise the information making comparisons where relevant.
Things you should know about Academic Writing Task 1:
- You are asked to describe information presented in graph/ table/ chart/ diagram.
- You have 20 minutes to finish the task and you have to write at least 150 words.
- If you are asked to use the information presented in the graph you must be careful not to copy it.
In Academic Writing task 1, candidates are assessed on their ability to:
- Organise, present and possibly compare data.
- Describe the stages of a process or procedure.
- Describe an object or event or sequence of events.
- Explain how something works.
Model Answer :
The given column graph elucidates the outcome of a survey as to the best solution of global warming among the people of four European countries, which are Portugal, Spain, Italy and the Netherlands. It is clear from the graph that lifestyle changes were rated as the best solution by the maximum youth of all the countries.
50% of the young Portuguese people rated lifestyle changes as the best solution for global warming. Government regulations and environmental issues were considered the best ways to solve global warming by 20% and 17% respectively. The maximum Spanish young generation also was of the view that lifestyle changes were the most effective solution, but their percentage was lesser than that of the Portuguese in this respect. 17% and 20% of young people in Spain rated government issues and environmental factors as the best solution. The overall trend of the Spanish, the Italian and the Dutch youth was the same for all the factors with minor differences in percentage.
Overall, only a small minority of the youth of all the countries opined that none of these factors could help reduce global warming.
More Bar Graph:
- The graphs below show four categories of citrus fruits and the top three countries to which these were exported (in thousand tonnes) in 2012.
- The graphs below show the average retirement age for men and women in 2004 and 2008 in six different countries.
- The graph below shows the percentage of dependents in 2000 and the predicted figures in 2050 in five countries, and also gives the world average.
- The chart shows the information relating to people within 15-minute drive service in a particular region in UK. It also compares the people living in urban areas and people living in rural areas.
- The graph below shows the percentage of adults according to age and gender who do not do any physical activity in Australia.