IELTS Academic Writing Task 1
Statistics on young adults and how they spent their money in 2016 to 2017.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant.
Things you should know about Academic Writing Task 1:
- You are asked to describe information presented in graph/ table/ chart/ diagram.
- You have 20 minutes to finish the task and you have to write at least 150 words.
- If you are asked to use the information presented in the graph you must be careful not to copy it.
In Academic Writing task 1, candidates are assessed on their ability to:
- Organise, present and possibly compare data.
- Describe the stages of a process or procedure.
- Describe an object or event or sequence of events.
- Explain how something works.
The given charts illustrate the expenditures of young people of Dubai and London and describe various categories on which they spent their money.
Overall, it is apparent that young people of Dubai spent an amount of their money on clothes, on the other hand, London spent more on electronics.
Young adults from Dubai follow the new trend, so about half of their money, they spent on clothes. However, for London, it was the opposite as the majority of young adults spent 50% of their money on electronics and only 10% on clothes.
Furthermore with the rest of the categories, in both countries young people spent an equal amount on alcohol and food, amounting to 10% each. London people are more conscious about their skin, so they spent 20% of their money on beauty which was 10% more than the spending the Dubai young people. Young adults in Dubai liked to read magazines, so they used 10% of their money to buy magazines but not even a single youngster in London who was interested in reading magazines, so they did not spend money on it.
Read More :
- The table below shows the percentage participation of women in senior management
- The chart below shows information about changes in average house prices
- The table below shows top ten countries with largest population in 2019, and how it is projected to change by 2100
- The charts below give information about the diet and general health of two groups of students
- The graph below shows the price of bananas in 4 different countries from 1996 to 2004