IELTS Academic Writing Task 1
The table below shows top ten countries with largest population in 2019, and how it is projected to change by 2100.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant.
Things you should know about Academic Writing Task 1:
- You are asked to describe information presented in graph/ table/ chart/ diagram.
- You have 20 minutes to finish the task and you have to write at least 150 words.
- If you are asked to use the information presented in the graph you must be careful not to copy it.
In Academic Writing task 1, candidates are assessed on their ability to:
- Organise, present and possibly compare data.
- Describe the stages of a process or procedure.
- Describe an object or event or sequence of events.
- Explain how something works.
The given table illustrates/compares the data of the world’s top ten largest populated countries in 2019 with projected numbers in 2100. The figures presented in millions.
Overall, it is apparent that except for China and Brazil, all the countries’ populations show an increasing trend. Some new countries named D. R. Congo(the Democratic Republic of the Congo), Ethiopia, Tanzania, replaces Bangladesh, Russia, and Mexico.
In 2019, China was in the first position with 1,439 million, whereas India was in the second position with 1,380 million but, by 2100, India is projected to have the highest population of 1,551 million and China down 498 million since 2019. Although the USA is projected to increase by 147 million and will amount to 478 million, still it steps down from third to fourth place, because its place will be overtaken by Nigeria, which moves up from Seventh place with 206 million to a total of 730 million. Two hundred thirteen million population recorded in Brazil in 2019, but it will drop the sixth place to tenth in 2100 to 177 million – a decrease of 36 million.
Furthermore, Three of the ten most populous countries in the world will no longer be among the top ten 2100 because it will replace by three new growing nations such as D. R. Congo that holds the sixth position with 296 million, Ethiopia will be in eight positions with 212 million and Tanzania will on ninth place with 178 million.
Read More :
- The graph below shows the percentage of people in different age groups in one city
- The chart below shows the global sales (in billions of dollars) of different kinds of digital games
- The pie chart shows the online sales for retail sectors in Canada
- The table below shows the percentage participation of women in senior management
- The chart below shows information about changes in average house prices