With the increased global demand in oil and gas, undiscovered areas of the world should be opened
You should spend about 40 minutes on IELTS writing task 2.
With the increased global demand in oil and gas, undiscovered areas of the world should be opened up to access more resources.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Give specific reason and explain them with examples from your own experience or knowledge.
You should write at least 250 words in IELTS writing task 2.
Topic : Resource
Type : Opinion Essay
This essay disagrees that untapped resources should be explored because of the environmental risks and the fact that there are renewable options available.
Many argue that energy companies should be granted access to previously unexplored areas, but this would be a huge mistake because of the potential for environmental damage. Drilling for non-renewable energy resources is incredibly damaging to the local ecosystem and these areas are often in sensitive places, such as the Arctic or National Parks in the United States and Canada. The Deep Water Horizon disaster demonstrated just how disastrous an oil spill can be for the animals and plant life in the local vicinity. Therefore, damaging these untouched areas is too much of a risk and oil companies should be banned from doing business there.
Taking these risks becomes pointless when you consider that there are plenty of viable alternative energy sources available. Solar, wind and tidal energy could replace our reliance on oil and gas completely within just 15 years if the industries were given enough funding. CEO of Solar City and Tesla, Elon Musk, recently demonstrated this by drawing a very small square on a map of the United States and stating confidently that small area could power the whole of the country if covered with solar panels. He also stated that we could further reduce our need for oil by building electric cars rather than those with combustion engines.
In conclusion, sensitive areas should not be made available to fossil fuel companies because of the environmental risks and the fact that our future energy needs can be met by renewable energy.
Read More essay like this topic
- Most high-level positions in companies are filled by men even though the workforce in many developed countries is more than 50 percent female
- Many museums charge for admission while others are free
- Life was better when technology was simpler. To what extent do you agree and disagree?
- Giving lectures in auditoriums to large numbers of students is an old way of teaching. With the technology available today there is no justification for it, and everything should be done online.
- In most developed countries shopping is not only about buying the goods you need, it is also perceived as entertainment.
Image : “unsplash.com”