You should spend about 40 minutes on IELTS writing task 2.
Some people say that the best way to improve public health is by increasing the number of sports facilities. Others, however, say that this would have little effect on public health and that other measures are required.
Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
Give specific reason and explain them with examples from your own experience or knowledge.
You should write at least 250 words in IELTS writing task 2.
Topic : Health
Type : Discuss both views
It is often argued that expanding the number of leisure amenities is the most appropriate way of boosting the health of the general public, while others feel that this is not a viable solution and believe other steps are needed. This essay will argue that sports complexes are not the best answer and education is a more suitable option.
A greater availability of recreation facilities might help some become healthier but it is unlikely to have an effect on the unhealthy masses. Most health problems do not stem from a lack of opportunities, but from a lack of motivation. For example, Cambridge University found in a recent study that 62% of men and women who paid for an annual gym membership failed to go entirely after just one month.
A public awareness campaign about the dangers a sedentary lifestyle can have on one’s fitness would affect not only people’s wellbeing but also their understanding of the issue. This is because most men and women are unaware of the harm they are doing to themselves by not exercising regularly and warning them about the risk factors would have a motivating effect. For instance, the ‘Go walking’ campaign in Northern Ireland in 2006 led to obesity-related illnesses, like heart disease and stroke, falling by almost a quarter.
In conclusion, although an increased availability of sports centres can influence the wellness of the public to a certain extent, it is only through education that the real benefits can be realised.
Read more essay like this topic
- With the increased global demand in oil and gas, undiscovered areas of the world should be opened up to access more resources.
- Many museums charge for admission while others are free
- Life was better when technology was simpler. To what extent do you agree and disagree?
- Giving lectures in auditoriums to large numbers of students is an old way of teaching. With the technology available today there is no justification for it, and everything should be done online.
- In most developed countries shopping is not only about buying the goods you need, it is also perceived as entertainment.
Image : “unsplash.com”