IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card
Describe something you received for free.
You should say:
What it was?
Who you received it from?
Where you received it?
And how you felt about it?
Note: You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you are going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.
Model Answer 1:
Introduction: and What it was?
Well, it is well said there is nothing like free lunches but recently I had a wonderful experience when I received a Back-pack as a freebie while shopping at a store. Actually, last month I was at a shopping mall for some shopping.
I wanted to buy a pair of shoes so without thinking twice I checked out my favourite brand store Adidas. As I entered the store person greeted me and probed to understand what exactly I am after. After that, he showed me a few pairs of sports shoes and to be very honest.
I wanted to buy all those as all were really tempting. Now the question was which one to buy. He told me about the discounts on various articles which were between 30% to 50%. Finally, I purchased the one in my favourite colour white with a comfortable sole and I paid Rs. 8000.
Who you received it from? and Where you received it?
At this time, the sales guy informed me that the company offers free backpacks to buyers who shop worth Rs. 7500 or more. I could not believe it as the bag itself was worth Rs. 2000 and I had to pay nothing for it.
Actually, I was in dire need of a backpack as I am a student and I use it on regular basis. My old bag was a bit torn off and needed to be replaced. In fact, it was super stylish with a massive logo of ADIDAS with a lock and a separate sleeve to keep Laptop that I had to carry in a separate bag otherwise.
And how you felt about it? and Conclusion:
I was so happy to receive such a useful item for free and I thanked the store person wholeheartedly. Overall, it was an amazing experience that I had of receiving something for free.
Model Answer 2:
It is human nature that person feels excited and happy whenever he gets something for free. An interesting poll has shown how getting something for free can boost one’s mental health and even keep the glow for up to a week. Today I would like to talk about an experience when I got something for free.
What it was? And Who you received it from?
I got a shopping coupon worth rupees three thousand for the Adidas brand. I received it from a showroom where I bought a Lenovo Notebook.
Where you received it?
A few days back I went to Chandigarh to buy a new Lenovo notebook. I went to the electronic appliances showroom. The salesman showed me many types of laptops and notebooks and told me the various offers that the company was giving to their customer.
I selected Lenovo Idea Pad D330 Intel Celeron N4020 10.1″HD IPS Detachable 2-in-1 Laptop (4GB/128GB eMMC/Windows 10/1 Yr Warranty/Mineral Grey/1.11kg).I paid about 25,000.
how you felt about it?
After the payment, a salesperson took a box and came to me. It was filled with different envelopes. He told me to pick one from them.
I picked one. I felt astonished when I opened it. It was a shopping coupon worth rupee three thousand. The manager told me that they gave this offer only to those people who do shopping above than 24000.
On the same day, I went to the Adidas showroom and bought a tracksuit.
Model Answer 3:
- I have received many free things in my life, but I would like to talk about a free coffee which I got on my birthday.
- When I visit Delhi or Chandigarh I love to visit Starbucks as I love their coffee.
What it was? and Who you received it from? and Where you received it?
- During one of my first few visits, one of the salespersons in Starbucks told me to get a Starbucks Card as I am a regular coffee drinker.
- She told me that the card was free and there are some amazing perks for regular coffee drinkers.
- I was sceptical at first, as there is no Starbucks in my city and I was wondering how many times would I actually drink one.
- But after some persuasion by the salesgirl, I got one, nonetheless.
- One of the benefits was a free coffee during the birthday month.
- I didn’t know this.
- So, by chance, I visited a Starbucks in June, which is my birthday month.
- When I was about to pay, the salesperson asked me if I was due a free coffee because of my birthday month and should he make this order the free one.
- I wasn’t expecting it but more than that I didn’t ask for it, he offered it.
- I then inquired whether it could be any coffee and if I could make modifications like adding whip cream.
- When he said, I told them to make it a mocha and add whip cream.
- I normally don’t make these additions because their coffee is already very expensive.
- I thought there would be no better opportunity to try it.
- So, I went for it.
And how you felt about it?
- I really enjoyed the coffee.
- If I would have paid for it, it would have cost me around Rs 400.
- It wasn’t a big amount but it made me so happy like I had won a lottery.
- That day, I got a card made for my mother and my sister as well.
- However, then the salesperson told me that the free birthday month coffee is applicable only when we buy coffee worth Rs 5000 in a year.
- I don’t think they will drink so much coffee, but I have already started looking forward to next June and the next free coffee.
IELTS Speaking Part 3 : Follow up Questions
Here some examples of follow up questions that you may asked during your speaking part 3 by examiner related to cue card “describe something you received for free”.
1. Do you think people should pay for higher education? Why?
I definitely think that people should pay for higher education themselves. I think people should only go for higher education when they are really interested. Paying it for ourselves means- we do it only when we really want to. At the same time, I also feel that government should provide scholarships and loans to poor students so that they don’t leave education because of money.
2. Is it good or bad for people to have a free education in the future?
I think free primary education is good because everyone should get primary education but I think higher education should be paid for by the student themselves. Actually, I don’t think it is possible for the government to fund higher education for everyone.
3. What free gifts do companies usually give to their customers?
In India, I think companies give small gifts like pens, calendars and cups, etc to customers. They are free gifts for customers but in a way, they are advertising for the company. Then, there are also deals like buy one- get one free, which are technically gifts, but in a way – the prices factor in the free gift such that the company is still in profit.
4. Why do customers like to receive free gifts from companies?
I think there is no better feeling than getting something for free. It is just human nature, when we get something for free- we feel lucky. When we buy something, we are always thinking, whether we could have gotten something better for the same price, whether we were cheated, but when we get something for free, we feel like we couldn’t get a better deal because what’s better than free.
Image : Photo by Artem Beliaikin on Unsplash