IELTS Academic Writing Task 1
The table below shows the number of medals won by the top ten countries in the London 2012 Olympic games.
Summarise the information making comparisons where relevant.
Things you should know about Academic Writing Task 1:
- You are asked to describe information presented in graph/ table/ chart/ diagram.
- You have 20 minutes to finish the task and you have to write at least 150 words.
- If you are asked to use the information presented in the graph you must be careful not to copy it.
In Academic Writing task 1, candidates are assessed on their ability to:
- Organise, present and possibly compare data.
- Describe the stages of a process or procedure.
- Describe an object or event or sequence of events.
- Explain how something works.
Model Answer :
The given table depicts the top ten countries which won the medal in the London Olympic Games in the year 2012.
Overall, it is apparent that the United States won the highest number of medals while the least number of medals won by Hungary in this Olympic Games.
According to the given information USA won the highest number of medals, and they also got the highest number of Gold and Silver recorded as 46 and 29 respectively. China hold the second position with 88 medals which included 38 Gold, 27 Silver and 23 Bronze. South Korea was in 5th position with 28 medals. Russia won more medals than the UK but still was at 4th position because UK participants won more Gold medals so, that’s why the UK was in 3rd position.
Furthermore the other countries, Germany, France, Italy, Hungary and Australia won medals ranging in between 17 to 45. Least Gold medals won by Australia, and they were in the 10th position.
Read more related post :
- The table below provides information on rental charges and salaries in three areas of London
- The table below shows the salaries of secondary/high school teachers in 2009
- The chart below shows the value of one country’s exports in various categories during 2015 and 2016