The graph below shows the cinema attendance of people on different days of the week
IELTS Academic Writing Task 1
The graph below shows the cinema attendance of people on different days of the week in 2003, 2005 and 2007.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant.
Things you should know about Academic Writing Task 1:
- You are asked to describe information presented in graph/ table/ chart/ diagram.
- You have 20 minutes to finish the task and you have to write at least 150 words.
- If you are asked to use the information presented in the graph you must be careful not to copy it.
In Academic Writing task 1, candidates are assessed on their ability to:
- Organise, present and possibly compare data.
- Describe the stages of a process or procedure.
- Describe an object or event or sequence of events.
- Explain how something works.
The given column graph depicts the percentage of people going to the cinemas on different days of the week, in 2003, 2005 and 2007. It is manifest from the graph that more people attended cinemas on weekends than on weekdays.
There was not much variation in the given three years in cinema attendance. In all the three years, which are 2003, 2005 and 2007, nearly 10% of people frequented the cinemas from Tuesdays to Thursdays. The least number of people viewed cinema on Mondays. This percentage was 7.5%, 6.5% and 5% in all the years respectively. A little over 15% watched the cinemas on Fridays, in all the three given years. On Saturdays and Sundays the cinema halls were flooded with people as over 25% and 20% went for viewing films on these two days respectively.
Overall, the number of people going to the cinemas grew slightly on Saturdays and the number frequenting cinemas on Mondays fell slowly over the given years.
Read More bar graph :
- The graphs below show the average retirement age for men and women in 2004 and 2008 in six different countries.
- The graph below shows the percentage of dependents in 2000 and the predicted figures in 2050 in five countries, and also gives the world average.
- The chart shows the information relating to people within 15-minute drive service in a particular region in UK. It also compares the people living in urban areas and people living in rural areas.
- The graph below shows the percentage of adults according to age and gender who do not do any physical activity in Australia.
- The chart below shows information about the challenges people face when they go to live in other countries.