You should spend about 40 minutes on IELTS writing task 2.
Some people think that students who achieve the best academic results should be rewarded. Others believe it is more important to reward students who show improvement.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Give specific reason and explain them with examples from your own experience or knowledge.
You should write at least 250 words in IELTS writing task 2.
Topic : Education
Type : Opinion Essay
It is often argued that pupils with the highest grades should be honoured, while others feel those who improve the most should be commended. This essay will discuss both points of view and argue that those who attain the highest marks should get the rewards, followed by a reasoned conclusion.
Many support the view that only the top students should get recognition in the form of rewards. They think that this is only fair and that excellence and hard work should be recognised. This essay agrees with this view because it incentivises learners to strive to be the best and fosters healthy competition. For example, in the United Kingdom’s top universities, like Oxford and Cambridge, many professors publish exam results publicly to increase motivation.
Alternatively, others advocate commending those who develop the most over a term or school year. They believe that this encourages those who are closer to the bottom of the class to get better and takes into account that not everyone can be top of the class. This essay disagrees with this view because it encourages mediocrity and is unfair to those students who have worked hard to achieve academic distinction.
In summary, although there are strong arguments to recognise students for improving, it is more important to give the high achievers the accolades in the interests of fairness and the spirit of excellence.
Read more essay like this topic
- Life was better when technology was simpler. To what extent do you agree and disagree?
- Giving lectures in auditoriums to large numbers of students is an old way of teaching. With the technology available today there is no justification for it, and everything should be done online.
- In most developed countries shopping is not only about buying the goods you need, it is also perceived as entertainment.
- Some people say that the best way to improve public health is by increasing the number of sports facilities. Others, however, say that this would have little effect on public health and that other measures are required. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
- Some people think that universities should provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in the workplace. Others think that the true function of a university should be to give access to knowledge for its own sake, regardless of whether the course is useful to an employer. What, in your opinion, should be the main function of a university?
Image : “unsplash.com”