You should spend about 40 minutes on IELTS writing task 2.
Scientists predict that in the future cars will be driven by computers.
What are the reasons behind this?
Is it a positive or negative development?
Give specific reason and explain them with examples from your own experience or knowledge.
You should write at least 250 words in IELTS writing task 2.
Topic : Technology
Type : Double questions
In the coming years, experts believe that vehicles will be driven autonomously by computers. The main reason for this is the development of artificial intelligence that specialises in manoeuvring cars. This should be seen as a positive development because it will prevent accidents and save lives.
In the past few years, there has been an explosion in the advancement of autonomous vehicles due to A.I. Advanced computer learning means that cars and other vehicles can move from point A to point B without the need for human interference. Due to the nature of these self-learning computers, the more they drive, the better they become and this will soon mean that it will be quite normal for people to be driven by computers. For example, Google, Tesla, and Apple all have autonomous driving projects, with Tesla announcing that all of its vehicles will be self-driving within 5 years.
This should be welcomed because, despite some initial safety concerns, it will ultimately save lives. This is because most collisions are due to human error and as machine learning gets better and better it will completely eliminate human involvement. This will mean that incidents such as drink driving, falling asleep at the wheel and speeding become a thing of the past. For instance, Elon Musk of Tesla Motors announced that its ‘Auto Pilot’ system has logged over 10 million miles with only one accident. Similar distances with people driving would have resulted in far more road traffic accidents.
In conclusion, the emergence of computer-controlled transportation will inevitably become the new standard in driving as computers learn more and should be viewed positively as it will improve safety standards.
Read more essay like this topic
- Many museums charge for admission while others are free
- Life was better when technology was simpler. To what extent do you agree and disagree?
- Giving lectures in auditoriums to large numbers of students is an old way of teaching. With the technology available today there is no justification for it, and everything should be done online.
- In most developed countries shopping is not only about buying the goods you need, it is also perceived as entertainment.
- Some people say that the best way to improve public health is by increasing the number of sports facilities. Others, however, say that this would have little effect on public health and that other measures are required. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
Image : “unsplash.com”