You should spend about 40 minutes on IELTS writing task 2.
People should follow the customs and traditions when people start to live in a new country. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Give specific reason and explain them with examples from your own experience or knowledge.
You should write at least 250 words in IELTS writing task 2.
Type : Opinion Essay
In the modern busy life, there are a large number of immigrants who have been willing to have a comfortable life in other nations. Many advocate that people should conform to the local customs and traditions when they settle in a new country. From my respective, I strongly agree with this idea because of some problems and benefits that people can face with them.
There are two important reasons why newcomers should blend into the local culture in the host country. Firstly, the refusal to adapt to host environment would create a cultural barrier for immigrants. This leads to social isolation, which has negative influences on people’s lives. Secondly, it is logical/true that limited knowledge of local customs may result in some illegal actions in the host country and make local/native people unpleased. For instance, in Singapore, one of the cleanest countries in Asia, local residents consider anyone dirty and ill-mannered if they litter the street or spit gum in the public.
Newcomers can gain some benefits if they adopt the customs and traditions of a new country. One benefit is that if immigrants behave in accordance with the local norms, they will be accepted easily by local inhabitants, and as a result, they can receive/gain respects and affections as well as some help from the local. For example, when the enterprises want to expand their production in a new country, they must be aware of business practices there, which provides them with useful information to maximise profits. Another benefit is that newcomers might gain the richness of knowledge by virtue of the local customs and traditions, which enables them to actively participate in the activities of the community. In many festivals, people are able to participate/join freely and feel harmonious like their own country.
In conclusion, I would argue that people who dwell in a new country should follow the customs and traditions which local people observe.
Read more essay like this topic
- When choosing a job the salary is the most important consideration. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Nowadays the way people interact with each other has changed because of technology. In what ways has technology affected the types of relationships people make? Has this become a positive or negative development?
- Some people think that children should be taught to be competitive in school. Others, however, say that cooperation and team working skills are more important. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
- When choosing a job the salary is the most important consideration.To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people believe that unpaid community service should be a compulsory part of high school programmes (for example working for a charity, improving the neighborhood or teaching sports to younger children). To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Image : “unsplash.com”