You should spend about 40 minutes on IELTS writing task 2.
Nowadays more and more people have to compete with young people for the same jobs.
What problems does this cause? What are some possible solutions?
Give specific reason and explain them with examples from your own experience or knowledge.
You should write at least 250 words in IELTS writing task 2.
Topic : Jobs
Type : Causes and solutions
Those seeking a job are now facing stiffer competition from the younger generation. This essay will suggest that the main problem this causes is higher poverty among older people and propose lowering the retirement age as a possible solution, followed by a reasoned conclusion.
Increased competition from today’s youth has left many over 50s in poverty. If a young and old person apply for the same job, it is often the case that the younger individual will have more qualifications and may also be willing to work for less money, leaving many seniors without work and ‘left on the scrapheap’. For example, a recent survey showed that since the financial crisis in 2008, fuel and food poverty has increased by 82% amongst the aged. Despite this, many of the older generation own their own property and have large savings and therefore, are somewhat insulated from these troubles.
The most viable answer would be to drop the age of retirement. Most industrialised countries could afford to lower this from 65 to 60, thus allowing millions of people to simply retire and be looked after by the state. For instance, Finland recently decreased the retirement age for all government employees to free up more jobs for their graduates. However, this initiative may be very unpopular with the business community, who would have to pay for many of these early retirements.
In summary, the increased rivalry between young and old in the job market has resulted in the impoverishment of many of our older citizens and countries should consider reducing the age of retirement to solve this.
Read more essay like this topic
- Multinational companies are becoming increasingly common in developing countries.What are the advantages and disadvantages of this?
- Some people think that it is better to educate boys and girls in separate schools. Others, however, believe that boys and girls benefit more from attending mixed schools. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
- Some people think that students who achieve the best academic results should be rewarded. Others believe it is more important to reward students who show improvement. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people think that universities should provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in the workplace. Others think that the true function of a university should be to give access to knowledge for its own sake, regardless of whether the course is useful to an employer. What, in your opinion, should be the main function of a university?
- Do you agree that the advantages cars bring outweigh the disadvantages?
Image : “unsplash.com”