Multinational companies are becoming increasingly common in developing countries
You should spend about 40 minutes on IELTS writing task 2.
Multinational companies are becoming increasingly common in developing countries.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of this?
Give specific reason and explain them with examples from your own experience or knowledge.
You should write at least 250 words in IELTS writing task 2.
Topic : Development
Type : Advantages and Disadvantages
More and more transnational corporations are setting up branches and factories in less developed nations. This essay will first suggest that reduced labour costs is the primary benefit for these companies, while bad publicity because of Human Rights abuses is the main drawback.
The main reason multinationals set up shop in poorer countries is because it is much cheaper for them to get their goods manufactured there, due to comparatively lower salaries. In an ever more competitive marketplace, it is simply unsustainable for most companies to pay Western wages when they can pay someone a fraction of the cost to do the same job. For example, the only reason an iPad or iPhone can be sold for less than $499 is that a worker in China can assemble the unit for approximately one-tenth what an American would expect to be paid.
Despite this economic benefit, Apple has recently come under scrutiny because of appalling conditions in many of its Asian factories. Workers in their Foxconn plant in China had to work under such grim circumstances, including 15-hour shifts, pressure to meet unrealistic quotas and low wages, that several of them committed suicide by leaping off the factory roof. The New York Times reported that this resulted in a 12% drop in the sale of Apple products, especially after it was reported that Apple had installed nets to stop any employees killing themselves in the future.
In conclusion, huge global companies may reap the rewards of low operating costs in developing countries, but they should also keep in mind that they have a responsibility towards their workers and any infringements of their rights could negatively affect their image and stock price.
Read more essay like this topic
- In most developed countries shopping is not only about buying the goods you need, it is also perceived as entertainment.
- Some people say that the best way to improve public health is by increasing the number of sports facilities. Others, however, say that this would have little effect on public health and that other measures are required. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
- Some people think that universities should provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in the workplace. Others think that the true function of a university should be to give access to knowledge for its own sake, regardless of whether the course is useful to an employer. What, in your opinion, should be the main function of a university?
- Some people think that students who achieve the best academic results should be rewarded. Others believe it is more important to reward students who show improvement. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people think that it is better to educate boys and girls in separate schools. Others, however, believe that boys and girls benefit more from attending mixed schools. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
Image : “unsplash.com”