You should spend about 40 minutes on IELTS writing task 2.
Some people claim that there are more disadvantages of the car than its advantages.
Do you agree or disagree? Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a car.
Give specific reason and explain them with examples from your own experience or knowledge.
You should write at least 250 words in IELTS writing task 2.
Model Answer :
In our daily lives, we move from one location to another for several reasons, and we rely heavily on private or public automobiles. The number of automobile owners is growing every day since everyone expects to be able to drive freely and comfortably. That is why the majority of us wish to possess a car. Nonetheless, having an automobile has both advantages and downsides.
The most significant benefit of owning a car is the ability to roam. If you own a car, you are free of established routes and timetables. Also, a car owner may transport family members and other essential things anytime, which would otherwise be difficult. Furthermore, unlike public buses, which are overcrowded and smelly, personal automobiles provide comfort when travelling. You may read books, listen to music, and even play with your children in your automobile, but these activities appear impossible on public transportation. On the contrary, having a car is quite costly. The cost of the automobile, the cost of the tax, the cost of insurance, the cost of gasoline, the driver’s pay, the cost of car repair, and more must all be considered before purchasing a car, which is why it is out of reach for most middle-class individuals.
Therefore, private automobiles can only transport a few passengers while occupying roadway space. When the number of automobiles on the road grows, so does traffic congestion. Arguably the most severe drawback of automobiles, in general, is the significant harm they cause to human health and the environment. More automobiles equal more pollution. The environment is a big concern now, and we must limit pollution at whatever cost, and if we consider it, having a car is never a wise decision.
To summarise, having a car provides independence, but if public transit is easily accessible, safe, and efficient, purchasing and owning a car should be abandoned.
Disadvantages of having a car:
- A automobile is a costly purchase that necessitates additional expenses for maintenance and repair. It is not affordable for all households.
- Vehicles have increased air and noise pollution in cities, leading more people to suffer from respiratory, cardiac, and cancer problems.
- City dwellers must spend more time stuck in traffic. With the rising use of private cars, traffic congestion has grown dramatically, and individuals have had to spend more time stuck in traffic.
- More automobile passengers have been wounded or killed in serious accidents as the number of private cars has grown.
- Every year, more pedestrian accidents are reported. People strolling along the street are more likely to be killed by private automobiles as their use grows.
- Government spending will be greatly increased. The local government must explore a higher budget to create and maintain additional roadways for more automobiles, as well as recruit more police officers.
- The usage of vehicles for commuting has reduced the average health of car users since they do not require any physical movement.
- The use of fossil fuels to power automobiles contributes to global warming and has an impact on the ozone layer.
- Car owners must be concerned about the safety and availability of parking spaces everywhere they visit.
- It saves time since commuters may get to their location faster than if they used a public bus.
Advantages of having a car:
- A private automobile is a practical form of transportation. More comfortable seats, ventilation, and other modern technology make individuals feel better than other modes of transportation, such as bicycles or public buses.
- When compared to public transportation, users enjoy more protected privacy.
- This will result in more excellent job prospects as more people work in vehicle firms or as drivers, lowering the unemployment rate.
- The local state will have more outstanding funds for road maintenance, which will be paid for by automobile owners’ taxes. Car owners must pay hundreds of dollars yearly to renew their auto insurance, licence, fines, or air care.
- As the automobile industry grew, so did other industries. The more people who use private automobiles, the more car firms must improve their technology, causing other mother industries to expand.
- Individuals can have complete control over their schedules and routes to their destinations.
- A private automobile owner can use his time, but doing so on a public bus is pretty challenging.
- A person does not have to worry about dust, noise, and fumes
- present on the road when driving, although it is not always feasible to avoid them when taking public transit.
Read more essay like this topic
- The Way Many People Interact with Each Other has Changed
- Paying for Things Using Mobile Phone
- People Think that Children should Aim to their Best
- some people believe that school children should be given individual homework
- Some people like to try new things, for example, places to visit and types of food
- music is a good way of bringing people of different cultures and ages together
- Some people think that a huge amount of time and money is spent on protection of wild animals
Photo by Jp Valery on Unsplash