You should spend about 40 minutes on IELTS writing task 2.
Do you agree that the advantages cars bring outweigh the disadvantages?
Give specific reason and explain them with examples from your own experience or knowledge.
You should write at least 250 words in IELTS writing task 2.
Topic : Development
Type : Advantages or Disadvantages
Using cars has been becoming increasingly common in recent years. Although I think that it maintains some obvious harmful consequences, I firmly believe that the advantages of the car can outweigh its disadvantages.
On the one hand, owning cars has a significant influence on the environment. The first reason is that the growth in travelling by car can lead to a rise in pollution, traffic jams, and accidents. More cars are likely to result in the rocketing rate of pollution. Secondly, our dependence on cars can lead to a decrease in practices, such as walking and cycling. People may have a higher chance of carrying more potential health risks like obesity and heart attack.
On the other hand, there are many reasons why people prefer to own cars. Firstly, it provides people with the freedom of movement. The ease of transportation which a car brings is significant/prominent than any other form of vehicles. For example, you can go from a destination to another destination and no time is wasted waiting for the bus or train. Therefore, time and distance are not barriers anymore. Secondly, personal cars can give comfort while travelling compared to public transports, which are so crowded and disgusting. For instance, you can read books, listen to your favourite songs or even play with kids while you are in your car, but all seems to be impossible on a means of public transport. Finally, families can go together. This becomes especially helpful when there are elderly, the disabled or even sick members in the families.
In conclusion, having a car can lead to a few noticeable problems, but I believe that owning a car is the best choice and the benefits that it brings about can outshine its drawbacks.
Read more essay like this topic
- In some countries the average weight of people is increasing and their levels of health and fitness are decreasing.What do you think are the causes of these problems and what measures could be taken to solve them?
- Multinational companies are becoming increasingly common in developing countries.What are the advantages and disadvantages of this?
- Some people think that it is better to educate boys and girls in separate schools. Others, however, believe that boys and girls benefit more from attending mixed schools. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
- Some people think that students who achieve the best academic results should be rewarded. Others believe it is more important to reward students who show improvement. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people think that universities should provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in the workplace. Others think that the true function of a university should be to give access to knowledge for its own sake, regardless of whether the course is useful to an employer. What, in your opinion, should be the main function of a university?
Image : “unsplash.com”