IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card
Describe a time when you needed to search for information.
You should say:
What information you needed to search for?
When you searched for it?
Where you searched for it?
And explain why you needed to search for it.
Note: You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you are going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.
Model Answer 1:
In this competitive era, searching for information is quite common among individuals. And the internet is the best platform for collecting information regarding any query.
Here I would like to talk about a time when it was mandatory to search for information.
I vividly remember a couple of months ago; I cleared my senior secondary examination with good marks. My father gave me lumpsum money as a gift.
I was top of the world after receiving it. Then I decided to use that money to buy a new two-wheeler for commuting as it was my dream.
What information you needed to search for? and When you searched for it? and Where you searched for it? and And explain why you needed to search for it.
Honestly speaking, I didn’t have knowledge about automobiles. So at that time, I searched on the internet in order to know everything about two-wheelers.
There were a number of websites where I read numerous things about its mileage, price, color, breaks, reviews, and other things.
Besides that, there were many photographs and videos of particular models. There are some videos in which individuals gave their reviews and shared experiences about different models of two-wheelers.
With the help of the internet, I grabbed enough information and decided to purchase Honda Activa 6G for commuting.
A few days after my decision, I bought a brand new scooter in white color, which is fabulous. When I drove for the first time, I was on the seventh heaven.
Besides this, my father felt proud of me that I used that money to purchase a good thing rather than spend it on parties or hangouts with friends.
Overall, this was a time when I needed to search for information, and it was an electrifying experience for me ever.
Model Answer 2:
- The Internet has made our lives really easy especially when it comes to searching for information.
- We can find out about anything with a click of a button.
Explain why you needed to search for it and What information you needed to search for? and When you searched for it?
- In 10th standard, my history teacher gave me a project to write about the life of a freedom fighter.
- One of the instructions for the project was that I was forbidden to use the internet.
- I had no clue what I could do to search for it.
- It made me realise how dependent I had become on the internet.
- It was like I couldn’t survive without it.
Where you searched for it?
- Then, I asked my parents for advice.
- They told me that I could visit the local library.
- There I might find some past newspapers and articles, which could help me.
- The library told me that they were also going digital and most of the articles and the past newspapers had been uploaded on their website.
- Finally, I thought about the museum dedicated to Bhagat Singh, which is about half an hour’s drive from my hometown.
- In the museum, I came to know a lot about his life.
- For example ‘he had a slogan Inquilab Zindabad’ which means long live revolution.
- I had always thought the revolution meant freedom of India.
- However, it actually meant freedom from the tyranny of the rich and powerful.
- Bhagat Singh’s ideas were too advanced for his age.
- I also learnt that although he was hanged for violence, he had stopped believing in violence long before he was even caught. Besides learning about Bhagat Singh’s life, I gained an appreciation for the internet and at the same time, I learned how we are becoming overdependent upon it.
IELTS Speaking Part 3 : Follow up Questions
Here some examples of follow up questions that you may asked during your speaking part 3 by examiner related to cue card “describe a time when you needed to search for information”.
1. How can people search for information now?
I believe that smartphones are the best option for looking up information anywhere and at any time. They just have to type a few words in the google search engine and within milliseconds they can get hundreds of documents and videos about the information they are looking for.
2. What information can people get from television?
Although television is mainly considered an entertainment unit or sometimes also called an idiot box, I believe that if people watch the right channels they can learn a lot about the world and increase their general knowledge by watching television.
3. Do you think libraries are still important in the digital age?
Yes, I feel that libraries still have an important role to play in our society. Apart from access to thousands of great books at the same time, libraries also provide a studious and focused environment for reading which is hard to replicate elsewhere.
4. Does the development of the Internet have any impact on some disadvantaged people?
Yes, technologies such as Internet have definitely helped the disadvantaged, especially those from weaker economic backgrounds. It has allowed them to learn new things for free and also created opportunities for them to earn more money by being able to reach more customers.
For example, a small time taxi driver who could get only a few customers from a particular location/ stand only can now ferry more customers in a day, and that too from any location because of mobility apps like uber.
Photo by Arkan Perdana on Unsplash