Fully funded Australia Awards Scholarships 2023, commencement in 2024 – Undergraduate, Postgraduate (Master, Phd) scholarships for international students.
This year the scholarships are added for African students.
|Opening date||1 February 2023|
|Closing date||1 May 2023 (11:59PM AEST)|
|Level of study||diploma, undergraduate, master or PhD degrees|
Table Of Contents
Australia Awards scholarships are prestigious international awards offered by the Australian Government to the next generation of global leaders in developing countries.
Australia Awards are offered to emerging leaders from developing countries for study, research, and professional development in Australia and the region so they can return home and contribute to their nations’ development, prosperity, and resilience.
For 2022, 2,075 Australia Awards scholarships and short courses were awarded to individuals from 27 developing countries at an estimated value of $200 million.
These are full scholarships at diploma, undergraduate, master’s and doctoral levels for students from eligible countries.
Scholars are required to leave Australia for a minimum of two years after completing their scholarships.
Australia Awards benefits
Australia Awards Scholarships are offered for the minimum period necessary for the individual to complete the academic program specified by the Australian higher education institution, including any preparatory training.
The following benefits generally apply:
- full tuition fees
- return air travel–payment of a single return, economy class airfare to and from Australia, via the most direct route
- establishment allowance–a once only payment as a contribution towards accommodation expenses, text books, study materials
- Contribution to Living Expenses (CLE) – a fortnightly contribution to basic living expenses paid at a rate determined by the department.
- Introductory Academic Program (IAP)–a compulsory program prior to the commencement of formal academic studies covering information on living and studying in Australia
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of the award (for award holder only)–provided to cover the scholar’s basic medical costs (with the exception of pre-existing conditions)
- Pre-course English (PCE) fees–if deemed necessary PCE may be available for students for in-country and/or in-Australia training
- supplementary academic support may be available to ensure a scholar’s academic success or enhance their academic experience
- fieldwork (for research awards and Masters by coursework which have a research component where fieldwork is compulsory) may be available for eligible research students for one return economy class airfare via the most direct route to their country of citizenship or within Australia.
Level of study
Depending on participating countries, students can apply for diploma, undergraduate, master or PhD degrees.
Fields of study
Fields of study of these scholarship opportunities also vary across all the countries. The governments of Australia and participating countries regularly review areas of study together and adjust the emphasis of the program.
Applicants who want to accept an Australia Awards Scholarship will need to sign a contract with the Commonwealth of Australia declaring that they will comply with the conditions of the scholarship.
Scholars are required to leave Australia for a minimum of two years after completing their scholarship. Failure to do so will result in the scholar incurring a debt for the total accrued cost of their scholarship.
For study commencing in Australia in 2024:
Opening date: 1 February 2023
Closing date: 1 May 2023 (11:59PM AEST)
Applications and/or supporting documents received after the closing date will not be considered.
The application process
All applications must be lodged online through https://oasis.dfat.gov.au
Students who are citizen of below participating countries can apply for Australia Awards:
- Sri Lanka
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Marshall Islands
- Papua New Guinea
- Solomon Islands
- Wallis and Futuna
- Palestinian Territories
PDF guide for Africa https://www.dfat.gov.au/sites/default/files/australia-awards-africa-information-for-intake.pdf
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- The Gambia
Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook:
Referee report template form: